Makeup artistry has officially gone mainstream! At least as far as pro tricks, tools, and products go… Not only have corrective concealers and palettes become “must-have” items, but now pro mixers, a product rarely seen in the conventional marketplace (whether mass market OR high-end) have been added to the mix!
The fact that these Pro Foundation Mixers can be found at Ulta? That’s kind of mind-blowing. Shouldn’t be a huge shock, given the way trends are going, but it’s still impressive. Part of the reason might be that such formulations often need explanation (think: color wheels!) Perhaps the influx of corrective products has brought with it a enough of a wave of how-to’s and instructional that consumers are warmed up enough to the idea? Learning how to use them is definitely important, since they aren’t meant to go on straight from the tube.
Back in the day, you had to track down speciality brands such as Ben Nye and Mehron to get anything like these… *Possibly* MAC Pro…but without an official industry id, you had to do your searching on eBay, or try to get hooked up by a makeup artist friend who could log into their site! So the fact that you can get your paws on them at a local mass retailer is pretty darn cool.
What’s the point of mixers? Foundations don’t always come in enough shades to match your specific skintone – pair the formulation with one or more mixers, and you can customize to your heart’s content…without spending a fortune. (These work with fluid, liquid makeup, keep in mind.) Personally, I’m psyched for these, and excited to see them in-store.
Please see reviews and posts below…!
Here (All swatches)
Here (For dark skin)
Oh my, what a name! The Love, Lust and Lace Collection are three (awesome value!) limited edition sets for Holiday 2015.
The Alter Ego Gloss Set includes:
- Sex Symbol (Exclusive Pink Nude)
- Debutante (Exclusive Apricot)
- Coquette ( Exclusive Hot Pink)
- CEO (Dusty Rose)
- Dominatrix (Deep Burgundy)
- Vamp (Exclusive Deep Red)
The Front Of The Line PRO Eye Pencil Set includes:
- Black (Matte)
- Black Pearl (Metallic)
- Gold (Metallic)
- Silver (Metallic)
And the PRO Eye Collection includes:
- Cobalt Blue Pocket PRO (exclusive) – Shades: Cream, Nectar, Mocha
- Front of the Line PRO Eye Pencil in Black
- PRO Plus Fiber Mascara
I’ll be honest, I’m kind of overwhelmed by the plethora of contouring palettes these days! I mean it’s GREAT, don’t get me wrong – being “in season” means there are countless options to choose from! But therein lies the debacle – overload!
I actually really like the look of Illamasqua’s Palette, but it may not be as suited to the masses as many of the “trios” that are out. The shades are a hair less intuitive – ones you would find in a pro contour kit for makeup artists or performers (Ballroom, stage, actor etc…) who need true definition at a distance.
In that way, I’m not sure this is ideal for a beginner – contouring in and of itself isn’t outrageously complex, but hues like these might well require a more solid grasp of shading…as well as what works best with your tonality.
The shades are as follows:
- Rush – champagne shimmer
- Cirrus – ivory brightening matte
- Heroine – cool-toned matte contour shade for fair-medium skin
- Nimbus – matte grey under shadow
- Steal – softly warm coffee bronzer
- Create – peach-toned matte contour shade for darker skin tones
I have seen some nice reviews, but I think it’s fair to say one needs a lighter hand and proper brushes here so that the end results are natural…not painterly!
Spotted this new product on Target’s website – Maybelline Eye Studio Brow Drama Palette!
The trio comes in four different colorways, for $10.99:
- Soft Brown
- Deep Brown
It’s listed as “out of stock” currently, but I am sure it will be rolling around soon enough for them to post it (have to generate that demand, right! 😉 )
Each kit contends a pigment powder, a highlighting powder, and a setting wax, along with a dual-ended, angled applicator brush and a spooky for extra shaping.
A few sites have shared that NARS will be debuting a range of Pro Palletes for Fall 2015. Each of them have shared the following (to which I am assuming attribution goes to NARS itself.)
“As a leader and authority in makeup artistry, NARS Cosmetics is excited to introduce the NARSPro Palette – the first offering in a line of products designed especially for the professional makeup artist community. The ultimate tool for makeup artists on-the-go and backstage, NARS invites you to curate your very own palettes with over 64 refill shades now available for purchase at NARS’ freestanding boutiques and on E-Commerce. Mix and match the artistry essential shades of eyeshadows, blushes, bronzers and pressed powders in one palette or create a comprehensive palette of blushes or eyeshadows. Pop in color, open up your inner artist.”
The sites, such as Temptalia (link as above) have also included shade information (THANK YOU!) – quite extensive!
- Large Palette ($18.00)
- Small Palette ($14.00)
Single Eyeshadow Refill – $18.00
- Galapagos Bitter chocolate infused with gold
- Ashes to Ashes Shimmery violet based brown
- Abyssinia Delicate pearl sheen
- New York Plum brown
- Night Star Sheer peach shadow with pearls
- Persia Paprika
- Nepal Soft, sheer rose
- Daphne Matte deep violet
- Bali Neutral
- Outremer Bright true blue
- Blondie Neutral, soft matte
- Fathom Pink tulle with shimmer
- Mekong Expresso infused with gold
- Sophia Cool brown
- Biarritz Rich chocolate brown
- Kamchatka Navy smoke
- Bengali Rich chocolate brown
- Goldfinger 24 karat shimmer
- Coconut Grove Deep brown infused with reflections
- Night Porter Black with pearls
Duo Eyeshadow Refill – $18.00
- Alhambra Metallic rose mist / Golden champagne
- All About Eve Flesh-toned neutrals / One with shimmer
- Bellissima Shimmering beige with subtle glitter / Matte gray-brown
- Sugar Land Sparkling apricot / Gilded orchid pink
- Kalahari Gold confection / Sugared cocoa
- Mad Mad World Vivid cyan / Parakeet green
- Madrague Matte cream / Matte caramel
- Rated R Electric cobalt blue / Shimmering chartreuse
- Kuala Lumpur Rose gold / Boysenberry infused with gold
- Kauai Gold lame / Iridescent smokey orchid
- Silk Road Icy pink / Rose gold with golden flecks
- Bouthan Soft pink tulle / Bright pink with gold shimmer
- Isolde Frosted ginger / Shimmering copper
- Pandora Sheer white shimmer / Matte black
- Cordura Shimmering warm rich brown / Shimmering sooty dark brown
Blush Refill – $21.00
- Orgasm Peachy pink with golden shimmer
- Outlaw A soft rose tone with golden shimmer
- Deep Throat Flirty, sheer peach
- Seduction Sangria
- Super Orgasm Peachy pink with gold glitter
- Desire Cotton candy pink
- Amour Peachy pink
- Exhibit A Matte red blush
- Torrid Warm coral with golden shimmer
- Taj Mahal Blazing burnt orange with golden shimmer
- Dolce Vita Matte dusty rose
- Angelika Cotton candy pink with gold and silver sparkle
- Luster Sheer golden apricot
- Gaiety Bright candy pink
- Sin Berry tone with gold shimmer
- Sex Appeal Soft peach
- Lovejoy Shimmering bronzed rose
- Mata Hari Pink with a race of crimson
Highlighting Blush Refill – $21.00
- Albatross Luminous glow
- Miss Liberty Soft, shimmering peach
- New Order Sheer highlighter with golden shimmer
Contour Blush Refill – $30.00
- Paloma Pink beige / Deep Rose
- Olympia Ivory / Rose
Pressed Powder Refill – $25.00
- Beach For deep reddish-brown skin tones
- Desert Light rose undertones to enhance medium skintones
- Mountain For the deepest true brown skin tones
- Flesh To complement fair skin tones
Bronzing Powder Refill – $27.00
- Laguna Diffused brown powder with golden shimmer
- Casino A diffused deep brown powder with golden shimmer
I am HUGE fan of being able to mix and match, as inevitably a palette is missing a key hue I DESPERATELY want. Of course, right?!
So this is very exciting news for not only the artist community, but for everyone looking to pair up their favorite shades!