I don’t do Valentine’s Day. I think the only time I sent Valentines out was when I was in lower school (so that’s third grade and below), frankly under duress. There was candy involved, though, so I would generally get what remained – nice incentive at that age!
I just don’t think anyone should feel obligated to do something nice, let alone nice AND sappy, just because the calendar says so – therein lies my distaste for what it’s become.
Funnily enough, though, a Facebook memory popped up of this (incredibly rare form!) photo. It was taken many moons ago, rather in defiance of the 14th, and very much with a mocking tone.
I do have a lot of friends in pin-up and vintage automotive photography so it was equally a (positive, in this case, however) nod to them.
I guess we all have skeletons, right? With red heart-shaped glasses and red lipstick, in my case!
Wait…WHaAaaAT!? Where were THESE when I was competitively Ballroom Dancing, dang it?!
These are the PERFECT, iridescent light catchers (and I’m highly irritated that they’ve come out now…several years too late!) The names are as sassy as the shades, and I love that they (along with many other companies) are following suit of such brands as Colour Pop and showing swatches on a variety of skin tones. *LOVE*
FLUKE. . .
I can’t well wear them to the dojo (lest my partner’s gi light up like a Christmas ball) but…I hope other people indulge in the high-wattage glow!
The Diamond Crushers are meant to layer over lip color, but I’m sure you could use them on your own. You could also very likely get creative (because…why not?) and use them to reflect light to / from other areas. Eye gloss, anyone?
Lime Crime is known for their offbeat shades, and daring finishes…so really Halloween isn’t a stretch. Like, at all.
But I love that they make a point of the 31st all the same, and they they go “LE” (limited edition) in honor. “Bloodmoon”? I do! (Incidentally, I never – ever – wear lipstick. But…I bought it, because… #vamp #bloodmoon #batwings. ❤ )
It’s kind of hard to resist – the perfect blackened red, don’t you agree? Wicked is also spectacular, but I find it more a challenge to find the right dark blood red… Of course then I see Red Velvet and want that too… ❤
It’s perfect for leaving love notes, so I have an excuse to splurge. 😉 (Or at least that’s what my not-so-inner-also-outer Vamp says.)
If you are feeling angelic, you could always go “Moonstone” – fair to say they have all manner of “bold” covered…and in that shade, you wouldn’t be run of the mill “divine!”
I wish I wore lipstick because then I’d go all out poisonous!
I’m thankful, at least, other ladies boldly…flashing fiercely goth grins ‘ere they go…
@gothsunite Blacken’ed rose…
Marc Jacobs new Collector’s Edition – launching for Fall – embraces blackness unabashedly. Black in and of itself is so deliciously dauntless one might even say “THE” blackness. Ahhh….How gloriously gothic of you, Mr. Jacobs…and in ample time for my favorite day! (#halloween, don’t forget it! 😉 )
The Collection includes:
- Le Marc Lip Creme Lipstick in Blacquer
- Highliner Gel Eye Crayon in Taboo
- Epic Noir Mascara & Gel Eyeliner Collector’s Edition Set
It isn’t for the shy, for sure, but rather those who can go boldly withOUT batting a lash… I personally think it’s brilliant that cosmetic companies aren’t automatically eschewing the less traditionally “wearable.” Women are more fearless in this day and age, and it isn’t only the Manic Panics of the World who should feel free enough to offer such intrepid shades.
My Pagan heart adores you, Marc. I like your brazen nerve!
There are a whole bunch of Summer Collections coming out from MAC, all of which several bloggers have announced in the last few weeks – sharing Temptalia’s thorough posts below.
Fashion Pack combines bright and bold shades and will be available one June 9th (online) and in-store one the 23rd.
“Lead the way with a new wave of front-row worthy hues. Fuchsia, violet, emerald, deepest plum, midnight…ready to wear, any way we dare! So, be a doll and show us how — the Fashion Pack is always in the know.”
Soft Serve focuses on the eyes, and pastel-based, crease proof hues.
“Feast on servings of new M∙A∙C Soft Serve Shadow featuring a unique, bouncy texture, and Dare Hue! Brow Pencil. Delectable Soft Serve shades each layer smoothly onto the lid with buildable colour that’s long-wearing, non-creasing and simple delicious.”
The MAC x Brandt Brothers has a modern, hip vibe to it…
“Peter and Harry Brant, the young bon vivants of New York society, are the current toast of the fashion scene. Now, M∙A∙C teams up with them in a modern collection of products for the face, brows, eyes and lips.”
While Vibe Tribes taps your inner bohemian…
“Lose control in lips painted reckless shades of red and coral, or a flash of gold. Let your eyes escape reality in teal, cobalt mandarin and charcoal, as free-spirited nails glisten in succulent tangerine and the perfect, buttery nude with M∙A∙C Vibe Tribe. Join the tribe. Feel the vibe.”
Tendertalk pairs color with technology, for a personalized hue all your own. I love that, as it reminds me of my favorite (Dior) balm.
“Awaken to a sweet new sensation: Tendertalk Lip Balm, a smart lip conditioner that creates a personalized tint based on your chemistry. Combining nourishing skincare and technology, this perfect lip transformer helps keep lips soft and moisturized while intuitively offering the right hint of color.”
I’m not totally sure to whom I can attribute this curious blurb – MAC, of course, but I mean specifically. I appreciate verbal creativity and find illustrative words a great deal of fun, but I wasn’t as crazy about this one. . . Sorry.
“Within the realm of the rose, a mysterious kingdom of blue ripe with temptation… Court seduction with only the most potent strains of Lipstick–Fixation, Carnivorous, Aphrodisia Invite intrigue with the intoxicating essence of sheer colour in Plushglass. Surrender to instinct, let your Blue Nectar flow.”
Fortunately the colors aren’t quite as contrived as the description! They aren’t necessarily for the less bold of the group, though – with colors like “Lured In,” Ablaze,” and “Heroine,” you need to be prepared to make a solid statement.
The Collection, per Temptalia, will include the following:
- Courting Seduction – Creamy pastel lavender (Amplified)
- Lured In – Mid-tone pastel purple (Amplified)
- Invite – Intrigue Cool, bright fuchsia (Matte)
- Intoxicate – Bright raspberry red (Matte)
- Lush Extract – Deep royal purple (Matte)
- Riot House – Light vivid orange (Matte) (Repromote)
- Give In – Creamy natural pink (Matte)
- Sweet Venom – Intense pink coral (Matte)
- Heroine – Bright purple (Matte) (Permanent)
- Ablaze – Bright apricot (Matte) (Repromote)
- Breathing Fire – Bright, warm fuchsia (Matte)
- Barbecue – Vivid orange-red (Matte) (Repromote)
MAC and Temptalia Image
MAC and Temptalia Image
MAC and Temptalia Image
- Fulfilled – Full-blush creamy pink
- Ample Pink – Full, soft rose (Permanent)
- In Abundance – Bright coral pink
- Robust – Sheer bubblegum pink
- Fashion Fanatic – Sheer baby pink
- Full for You – Ultra-cool pink with silver pearl
MAC and Temptalia Image
The Collection will be available online and in-store on the 2nd of June, 2016 – MAC, Dillard’s Nordstrom, Macy’s and Bloomingdales!
A couple of posts out there about this beautiful new Collection, Transformed!
The Lineup will include:
- Cantonese Carnation – warm rose
- Origami Orange – creamy orange
- Seoul-Ful – light, creamy pink
- Good Luck Mochi – rosy mid-tone pink
- Bonsai Bloom – cool nude-pink
- Flaming Lips – deep, creamy red
- Touché – light beige cream
- Glamorized – creamy, vibrant pink
- Rich Marrón – mid-tone nude cream
- Commotion – deep, cool plum cream
- Honesty – pewtered bronze (lustre)
- Brule – soft, creamy beige (satin)
- Woodwinked – warm antique gold (veluxe pearl)
- White Frost – vivid white with icy shimmer (frost)
- Knight Divine – black with silver pearl (veluxe pearl)
- Contrast – purplish-blue with blue pearl (velvet)
Retro Matte Liquid Lipcolour
- Back In Vogue – peachy nude
- Red Jade – bright, creamy red
- Bengal Tiger – loud orange
- Mango Mango – soft peach coral
- Fuchsia Flicker – intense hot pink
- Slipper Orchid – bright plum
- Lady-Be-Good – warm mid-tone nude
- Fashion Legacy – intense fire truck red
- Oh, Lady – deep wine
- Bare Asset – medium beige
Haute & Naughty Lash
- Haute & Naughty Black – black
- LinerTop/Bottom – rich, smoky black
NARS has always been a favorite of mine. I don’t really wear much makeup and never have…but for performances on ice, on stage, or in the ballroom, these products ALWAYS held up. In other words, the pigments are lasting, and the products are of a beautiful quality, delivering what they intend to.
The Summer Collection features fun and cheeky packaging, designed with Konstantin Kakanias’ contempo-style art. Modern, happy, definitely that Summer vibe…
The 10-piece Collection (check out swatches and reviews from Temptalia!) will be available in just a few days on the 15th of April at NARS Boutiques, and then at Sephora beginning on May 1 (always useful because many of us will look for a new Collection in-store that hasn’t yet rolled out! Saves the disappointment! 😉 )
The Collection will include the following (thank you to http://www.musingsofamuse.com for the color descriptions!)
NARS Lip Cover:
- Overheated (Deep Dusky Rose)
- Do Not Disturb (Vivid Orange-Red)
- Get Dirty (Desert Rose)
- Members Only (Crimson)
NARS Dual-Intensity Eyeshadow
- Deep End (Shimmering Teal-Green)
- Tan Lines (Rich Hazelnut)
- Topless (Seahshell Pink)
- Pool Shark (Iresdiscent Periwinkle)
NARS Dual-Intensity Blush
- Liberation (Shimmering Light Pink/Caramel Rose)
- Sexual Content (Sandy Peach/Soft Raspberry)
I’ve yet to see one of the major mass market brands go this severe (as a Goth chick at heart, I’m not complaining. I don’t exactly wear black lipstick but I’ll love it from the sidelines 4ever!)
Soon enough, a black shade will be gracing Maybelline’s shelves…as will a gloss (it isn’t totally clear whether the latter will be as boldly Night-hued.)
It’s very runway, very punk…definitely more an Autumnal / Wintery than the timing warrants, but I’m curious all the same.
If it is too much for you for any wear beyond the confines of your house, but you’re secretly wearing a cloak and patent leather boots…by all means, indulge. You can always take a selfie of your lips and revel in the sassiness of the look later… No one will have to know, and I won’t tell if you don’t! 😉