It isn’t as hard as it sounds. There can be little treats here and there, absolutely…but clean eating “all the time” means it’s a lifestyle, not a fad or “diet.”
I don’t take whole days off from eating well – it matters to me what I put into my body as fuel, and I know that if I get OFF track, getting back on will be much more of a challenge. So I stick with it all year round, every day – it isn’t a “summer thing” or a “after-holiday revamp.” When you maintain ANYthing, the difficulty drops substantially – less catching up to do!
A FEW TIPS for when you aren’t home, or you have a gathering?
- Go for the cleanest preparations: Grilled, broiled, steamed, roasted, baked. While you are at it, ask them to go light on (or eliminate) any oil or butter they might *think* they need to add.
- Instead of heavy dressings or condiments, ask for lighter substitutes: lemon, vinegar, olive oil on the table (so you can control the amount), coarse salt etc.
- If the dish sounds enormous, ask for a smaller portion…OR, take half home. If you’re at someone’s house, just take a little – no one is forcing you to overdo it!
- Ask that any sauces be brought “on the side” so you aren’t at the mercy of the heavy-hand kitchen’s often have, or just skip it if you are at a party.
- Drink your H2O – it will help fill you up!
- Ask for a double order of steamed veggies on the side…another “fill you up” helper, or munch on some salad before you dive in.
- Have fruit or berries instead of other desserts. I know, I know, less fun. BUT, it does help the sweet tooth (and you feel better about it later.) 🙂
If you do want to stay healthy, it’s a lot easier these days than it once was – most places (and people!) are used to it, so don’t be too hung up on that. How you feel physically and otherwise is numero uno, so take care of YOU however you need to. I got a few looks ordering plain grilled chicken and steamed veggies at a bar while out watching UFC with grappling buddies…but whatever. I even pulled an organic apple out of my bag. No funny looks with that though, except for the jealous friend who wanted one too! 🙂
For more Nutrition posts…