Actually…we have two additional modes different from the rest:
Banana mode – I’m a feline torpedo on speed. Face is the same but the eyes are wide with a feverish, almost diabolical glint. Otherwise…as above. Game on.
Hungry mode – I will run several laps around the kitchen island, sometimes in varying directions. My face will remain as above save for my mouth, which is – in bullying fashion – frequently opening and emitting loud-and-whiny sounds.
Ahhhh… Felines. ❤
Actually, I’m not sure if I’m a dork, a nerd...or something else? I vaguely recall a contemplative conversation I had with my uncle discussing the nuances of geekery and nerddom, etc. (We felt he was solidly in “geek” territory himself, though my designation wasn’t wholly clear.)
I’ve discovered that there’s an alarming number of charts, graphs, even venn diagrams to explain the key differences – in combination with countless online quizzes, it sounds like my uncle and I were onto a still ambiguously-answered topic.
I’m mulling over the below, as one example, wondering whether there is a happy ground anywhere…or at least one less, er, pejorative and vehement than “psychopath”? Maybe I’m in Martial Arts Geekland?
- Obsessed is a possibility… I have an ardent passion for Martial Arts – one which, I daresay, teeters on the verge of “obsession.” Not partial. Full-fledged.
- I’m also a “workaholic” and “fanatic”…when it comes to sports, career, school…I work incredibly hard, and care about results. Strike-true, chart! As I always say, however, there is a fine line between dedication and stupidity! Sometimes those of us with this level of zeal – nigh insatiable at times – push a little too hard. So while it’s off-putting to see some negatively-leaning attributes in that orangey-pink sphere, they might be fair to say.
- Anxiety I struggle with sometimes, but not so much with my Martial Arts – my practice is very much my sanity, and a place where I am very happy to be. Because anxiety runs in my family, calming and centering activities are a must.
- Mad Scientist gives me visions of Dr. Finklestien. Science fascinates me. I love the intellectual humor. I was elated over a microscope that I got for Christmas when I was a kid… But I don’t tend to do any experiments these days. No bunsen burners, no haphazardly put-together, resurrected beasts. Just kicks, punches, sparring, chokes… I’m straightforward.
- Nerd. Therein lies my question… Am I? Am I NOT?!
- Dork. Maybe yes, maybe no.
- Emotionally unstable? Not in the certifiable way! Emotional? Absolutely. Many Martial Artists I know are able to handle stressful situations, but we are human at the end of the day, so emotions are underlying all we do – they are the reason we have the drive to do what we do at all. We have fire in our souls, eagerness in our bodies, and love in our hearts. I’ve seen anger too, no question, but rarely. Though I am an ESP (Extra Sensitive Person / Empath) I have gotten more grounded though my practices – I am still very sensitive, but I don’t agressively fly off the handle like I once used to. I do shut down sometimes (not proud of that) but I’m working on it! Always room to grow and improve!
- Crazy? Well…I love vampires, sparkles, and kicking things, so I think I qualify somewhere in there, all the way out in the blue zone!
- Irrational doesn’t really apply for me. My old boss once said “you are so responsible, I feel bad for you.” I know, I had the same “I’m sorry, what?” reaction. I can be a wild card, but I’m not careless or unsound by any stretch. Opponents often are, but we can’t afford to be.
- Psychopath. No, can’t say that I am. (Not to say a person bearing said diagnosis is going to totally admit it, but I can safely say I’m not in the psychopathic sector! Been with too many NPD-afflicted individuals (Narcissistic Personality Disorder) and sociopaths so…let’s just say I’ve done my research!)
- Socially Inept. MAJOR nope. I’m a Gemini – most of the planet thinks I’m a social butterfly. I can talk to anyone, and am often approached by people who spill a ton of personal information, but as an Empath, I’m more like the elusive butterfly. I adapt easily so social situations are a breeze. Most Martial Artists I know are warm and very socially capable. We also know when to shut our traps at the Dojang / Dojo / Academy.
- Clueless?! I LOVE to learn, and I believe awareness physically, emotionally, and spiritually is vital. So this is a big no. Martial Artists must be aware of his or her surroundings – it’s part of our training, and it is engrained. I don’t know a single one who is clueless.
- Sociopath, see Psychopath above!
- I looked up Dweeb and found “a boring, studious, or socially inept person.” Ouch. Well, I’m not at all boring, but I get bored in two seconds. I’m studious with my sports, but as above, not inept. 1 of 3?
- Intelligent. I like to think so! 😀
- Inventor. In some ways (in figure skating, in dance, and in Fashion…) But in the traditional, more mechanical sense? Not so much.
Now…There are six designations in each of these circles, so if I was being mathematical about all this:
- Orange – At least 3 of 6
- Blue – 1, possibly 2 of 6
- Yellow – 1, possibly 2 (Nerd / Dork conundrum) of 6
- Green – 2, possibly 3 of 6
This didn’t solve my problem.
I looked up Dork and Nerd to see which made more sense…but the definitions feel kind of boorish. Given that Dork falls in the orange, and that’s where I mostly am… I think I’m more Dork than Nerd, which falls (evidently) under the larger umbrella of the almighty “GEEK.”
So for the sake of ending this novel*… I’m a Geeork. It sounds kind of Star Wars, doesn’t it!? 😉
*Nerd is a close contender. Close to a tie. So if you call me a Neek, I won’t be offended. 🙂