So it seems a bit odd but sometimes I don’t do multiple muscle arm workout…sometimes I just do ONE group. I train in Martial Arts several times a week so for me, overtraining could become and issue. That aside, when I am too sore in too many places, I compromise my training.
SO…the other day I was working on my tris. Having “guns” as a woman – to me – is a great thing. I love the feeling of being strong and holding my own. I’m not exactly pressing 50 lb dumbbells behind my back, but I use a good amount of weight for my size, and it gives me results.
The exercises I do generally include the following (though changing it up here and there IS a good thing!):
- Overhead Triceps Extension – Using a bench
- I keep my feet up ON the bench deliberately to ensure my lower back is pressing down, and not arching. I see that too much!)
- Diamond Pushups
- Often, I will do more reps on my knees – I have a clicky tendon in my elbows and this allows me to complete the movement without exacerbating that too much. It’s an AWESOME exercise to target tris.
- Dips – Weighted pull up machine
- I do these on a weighted machine (the same one I will do pull ups and chin-ups on.) This allows me to get a good amount of weight for the exercise, but to also be able to do more than one! My whole bodyweight is too much!
- Dips – Using a bench
- Putting my hands behind me with a 90 degree bend in my arms, I do a higher number of reps for these, for about three sets
- Triceps Pushdown
- This can be with a cable or on a machine. I alternate between both.
- Triceps Extension – Using a cable
- I face away from the cable station and extend my arms up and over my head (facing forward) to get a nice burn.
- Dumbbell Kickback
- I will sometimes do these standing (bent over of course, with my free arm on my knee for support) or I will lean forward on a decline bench (chest against the bench.)
- I turn lighter dumbbells horizontally, and pulse them behind my back in a smaller range of motion. These are deceptive – they burn! And, they get the smaller muscles I recruit less when moving heavier weight.
- Bench Press – Close grip
- This is great to target the tris!
There are, of course, tons more options, but these are my go-tos most of the time. I don’t have enormous triceps by any stretch, but I feel strong, and appreciate that I can move furniture all by myself! 😉
For MORE FITNESS posts…click here! 🙂