Pet Safety…and Swallowing “Stuff”

So a night or two ago, my little samurai decided to swallow over a yard of shoelace.  People always say “WHY WOULD HE DO THAT!?”  Well…it’s more likely that he was playing and chewing it…part went down…and the only option was to swallow the rest.  Animals don’t decide, “yum, shoelace!” This wasn’t comfortable for him at ALL.

Not himself at all.

Not himself at all. Sigh.

You know your animals, and you know what isn’t normal.  Vomiting, for example, can happen from time to time – it may be nothing at all serious.  But if you notice ANYthing out of the ordinary, get yourself to a vet – animals are known to be incredibly heroic and they aren’t going to sit and tell you what hurts.  

If you can’t get an appointment straight away, observe and note whatever else is going on.

IMG_7814

ALWAYS have a carrier ACCESSIBLE!!! Fire alarm, emergency visit…just DO!

ALWAYS have a carrier ACCESSIBLE!!!  Fire alarm, emergency visit, you never know!

Animal people can, in fact, be squeamish.  My mother is a stellar example!  (Don’t tell her I said that.) I have had to scold her for squealing so I can

A.) manage the tooth that broke (and resultant issues) in the dog’s mouth… Nails and teeth bleed more than you might expect, fyi.

B.) safely get the puppy under one arm to haul him to the vet after “capping” his own tooth with a sharp piece of the plastic collar he ate…

C.) scruffing and examining sutures that the dog thought would be fun to play with, and then get ugly about…etc, etc.

It can be scary, for sure, BUT…when something goes awry…it is NOT the time to go to pieces.  Timing is important, so try to gather yourself, or get someone who can help. 

Also, try to keep your face away from the animal’s – discomfort would make a human bite, so don’t put it past poor, sweet Fluffy!

In my case, I had to observe.  I brought him in when the vet could see us, and after an examination it was still undetermined – gastritis, or foreign body.  It was a wait-and-see situation – The seeing part was crucial.

Foreign body, indeed.  We had a long night and I had to be there to help and observe any changes.  While this may make some uncomfortable, it is INCREDIBLY important:  If your animal swallows something…DO NOT, under ANY circumstances, PULL to help the animal pass the object.  If there is any tangling internally, you could have some very serious, life-threatening issues!

Examining anything the animal expels is important, (orally, fecal etc) and if you have to snip something that isn’t fully passed, do it.  But don’t pull or try to be a doctor (unless you are a certified vet yourself.)  

Being a guardian for our pets is a huge responsibility – incredibly rewarding, but it isn’t always fun and playtime!  Things HAPPEN, and we have to pay attention.  

IMG_7842

You will be the responsible adult in the situation, so if you feel like you might not be comfortable, make sure to read up on tips and emergency procedures – know enough that you can capably keep the animal safe until you are in professional care.

IMG_7841

Newsletters can be helpful – For example, Choice Pets just sent out a 4th of July Sale e-mail and in it, they included some tips – I LOVE that.  

PS: 

Screen Shot 2015-07-01 at 7.01.20 PM

 

#wokeuplikethis

#wokeuplikethis

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s